Saturday 12 February 2011

Twisted Values?

A friend sent me an email containing the text of an article reputed to have been written by a Spanish journalist in 2008. I wasn't blogging then; I have no idea whether the article is a 'spoof', or whether it is genuine. To attempt to ascertain that I used google and whilst there are quite a few references to this article, no mention of the paper could be found - maybe I did not look hard enough. Anyway, I chose this link and care not if it has been aired previously.

Christopher Booker, in his usual Sunday Telegraph column, reports on the plight of ex-Pte Epeli Uluilakeba, who now faces deportation. The last paragraph of Booker's article demonstrates the ridiculous state of affairs under which we now live.
"As Mrs Smith says: “I cannot believe this country has allowed rapists, child molesters and terrorists to stay here, yet a man who is quite willing to give his life for Queen and country is being booted out.” Mrs Laga adds: “When you consider who we let into this country and provide for, it is a shame that we cannot look after a war veteran and a hero, a man who would be getting on with his life if allowed to."
Hopefully I speak for many in this nation when I say I am completely disgusted to live in a country where rapists, child molesters, murderers and terrorists can remain - invariably funded by the state; I am completely disgusted that we will be forced to grant votes to those incarcerated who have, by their own volition, broken the rules of our society; I am disgusted to have as a Prime Minister someone who was at pains to publicly state that the "poorest and most vulnerable" would be protected - but aren't as a result of policies instigated by that same Prime Minister; I am disgusted to have as a Prime Minister someone who has the bare-faced cheek to lecture Egypt on democracy when he cannot - and does not wish to - introduce it in his own country; I am disgusted to have as a Prime Minister someone who maintains he governs our nation but so patently doesn't; and I am even more disgusted to have as a Prime Minister someone who cares not for his Privy Councillor Oath of Allegiance, who consequently has not the faintest idea of honour.

I despair of a political system that allows the Leader of a political party to 'control' his Members of Parliament in respect of how those MPs vote; I despair of a political system that allows MPs to be elected who are forced to put the interests of their party before those of their constituents and their country; even more am I disgusted that we can elect MPs who are not prepared to inform their party Leader to 'go hang'; and I despair of a political system that allows am MP, who also happens to be the Prime Minister, to inform one of his constituents who has a complaint concerning the 'mis-treatment' of a section of society that his complaint won't be considered because it 'falls foul' of national policy.

And people wonder why I want to slaughter them, to 'Hang 'Em High'?

6 comments:

microdave said...

I too feel your disgust and despair.

I don't wish for much, but to have the term "Great" Britain actually mean something again, would be nice...

WitteringsfromWitney said...

m/dave: Re "Great" - if only, if only!

john in cheshire said...

WfW, ref. ex-Pte Epeli Uluilakeba, Richard North has a posting on this. If you or he arrange something; donations, petition; then I would be only too pleased to contribute. Like you, I find our so-called government repellent and I hope one day they get their just desserts. In the meantime, if something can be done to right a wrong, then I'm all for it.

WitteringsfromWitney said...

jic: See what can be done

Tarka the Rotter said...

Yet again WfW you hit the nail on the head. The picture you paint is one that causes both despair and rage in equal measure, yet it is totally recognisable. We do not have a democracy - we have a self-perpetuating oligarchy dressed up in the fading rags of democracy. One looks to Egypt and thinks, 'Could it happen here?'... all i can say is 'I hope so...soon'

WitteringsfromWitney said...

TtR: Thank you for your kind comment.