Friday 25 March 2011

Love Songs

Possibly being a man, I have never 'taken' to female singers, however as with all 'rules' there has to be an exception and in this case it is Shirley Bassey (love or hate her!). The reason for my admiration of her is that she has the ability to put 'feeling' into her singing. Witness the way she puts 'emotion' into the words "Hate" and "Mad" in the following:


When considering the song "No Regrets", automatically one thinks of Edith Piaf and "Je ne regrette rien", yet there is another song of the same title, one written by Tom Rush. I have no idea who arranged the orchestration of this version, which I think adds to the recording, but it is impossible to disagree that this, as a song exemplifying a longing that can never be recaptured, is hard to beat.


Apologies, but I am a tad of a romantic at heart!

7 comments:

Paul said...

I'm a Sandy Denny fan myself, WfW

WitteringsfromWitney said...

P: forgive my ignorance, but who is Sandy Denny?

Now off to Youtube.......!

WitteringsfromWitney said...

P: sorry but definitely not my taste!

James Higham said...

Possibly being a man, I have never 'taken' to female singers ...

The reason I have taken to them. And Bassey was great.

Paul said...

Yeah... very different from Dame Bassey, I guess ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm with Paul here I'm afraid WfW.

Sandy Denny's I'm a Dreamer is most probably going to be played at my funeral.

But Bassey is class - too classy for this particular chav.

WitteringsfromWitney said...

BJ: No need to apologise! Its a generation thing.....You either have taste or you dont... (Joke)

Tried three of Sandy Denny's but will now look for I'm a Dreamer.........