Friday 18 November 2011

Flagging up a problem

Restoring Britain posts on a small problem in the village of Gamston, in Nottinghamshire, where the Union Jack has been flying all year round, much to the distaste of some residents, one of whom appears to have spent too many days sunbathing (and if that last comment is racist - tough!)

As far as I can recall, since 2007, it has been permissible for any individual or organisation to fly the flag of the United Kingdom on any day it wishes, although I have to ask what business is it of 'government', or even a parish council, to decide when those who have pride in a symbol of their country can exercise that right - unless of course, with my belief in true 'localism', they have consulted all in that village and the majority decision is to fly that flag every day,.

Perhaps those in the video, to which RB refers, would like to take their strongly held views about respecting diversity and air them in, say, North Korea or even Iran? When taking citizenship of this nation does the applicant not swear allegiance to the Union Jack? And if not, why not?

It is this type of 'story' - and the motives of the BBC and the way they report it - that really makes me mad! To those who don't like our national flag, who find it for some reason 'repulsive', then one can only suggest they 'Foxtrot Oscar' - their choice of destination I leave to them!

Just saying/asking (as usual)...............

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

If they dont like the flag, tough sh*t!! Everyday we are bombarded with advertising, branding PR bilge. Most of it rubbish however its a free country. What's good enough for commerce is certainly good enough for our national flag. Fly it and let its critics stew in their own venom.

PS In recent years while driving all over the UK I am increasingly aware of people erecting flag poles in their gardens. Its wonderful to see the Union flag flying. st. George's Crosse's, Welsh dragons scottish saltires, The occassional irish Tricolour, or even Scottish clan banners. Tellingly enough I have never ever seen that evil EU rag flown from a private residence.

Why is it that the EU flag in this country is only ever flown by Corporate lackeys or Government lickspittles!!

TomTom said...

Union Jack fits nicely on cars or boats but the Union Flag which is what we used to call the red, white, and blue amalgam of Saint's Crosses is a term more often used now by the BBC to denote the EU Flag.

Really we should employ the term Union Flag as it was intended to describe a Union of Three Kingdoms and maybe even have the Red Hand in the picture.

Anonymous said...

How would they like it if I flew a Caribbean flag up there?


Priceless BBC.

That it would get an airing as a run of the mill normal opinion.

Doh! I have got news for that fellow, in case he hasn't noticed, it ain't the fvkin Caribbean, any more than in a moment of absent mindedness we thought it might be Italy. FFS, I mean really.

TheBoilingFrog said...

Under the 1990 Planning Act you're allowed to erect a flagpole without planning permission and fly any countries' flag all year round, if you so wish.

The restriction to certain days (usually 18) only applied to Govt buildings.

I have every sympathy for your comment WfW, I had a similar problem in 2006 when I erected a flagpole in my garden for the World Cup. Some grumpy git a few doors down from me remonstrated with me and threatened to report me to the council (not sure on what grounds). Until that is I pointed out that the caravan parked on his drive was in breach of our estate's covenant - and so I would get it removed. Never heard anymore after that.

The Gray Monk said...

Technically I am given to understand that the Union Flag is actually a symbol of the Crown and not of the country. This is why it is flown on the "Jack Staff" at the bow of HM Ships and on government buildings for the legendary 18 days, almost all of which had some significance to the Crown. Personally I have long believed that if more britons actually flew it we might at long last silence the morons who scream it is a "symbol of oppression" or might cause "offence to a minority."

If descendents of Jamaican immigrants want to fly that nations flag (and do) all over London, why should I not fly the Union Flag in my garden? I'd love to see a Britain proud of its heritage and proud of one of its national symbols - the Union Flag. Its all very well flying the Cross of St George (Personally I'd rather see St Edwards gold cross on blue with lions in the quarters as "England's Flag ...), The Saltire or the Cross of St Patrick, but these should fly alongside the Union Flag and not instead of it.

As for the EU Flag ... What flag?

microdave said...

"Its wonderful to see the Union flag flying. St. George's Crosse's"

A friend of mine has a great big George Cross flag flying in his garden all year round. I often try and wind him up about it, but he says it isn't going anywhere.



Mind you, there aren't many avid sunbathers round his way...

WitteringsfromWitney said...

Thanks for all the comments so far, we seem to have a consensus of opinion on this topic!

Restoring Britain said...

WfW - Thank you so very much for the posting and the link. Very kind of you indeed. Apologies for the daly in the comment - weekending in the fair city of Oxford

WitteringsfromWitney said...

RB: My pleasure - and had you the time and let me know I was only 10 miles away, we cud have had a beer...