Monday 11 July 2011

The vote that will not be debated.

A few days ago I posted about events in Committee Room 14 on the question of the £9.2billion increase in IMF subs.

From the House of Commons Order of Business you will see that a vote on this measure is to be taken at 10pm tonight, one without any debate whatsoever.

And we do not live under a democratised dictatorship?

H/T: Guido Fawkes who hears that Labour will vote against and many Tory backbenchers will vote with them to defeat this massive increase to Britain’s IMF subscription - To which I say that I will believe any Tory rebellion when I see it..........

6 comments:

Paul Coombes said...

To which I say that I will believe any Tory rebellion when I see it ...


I applaud and concur with your cynicism.

James Higham said...

And we do not live under a democratised dictatorship?

Democratized?

WitteringsfromWitney said...

psc: Thanks!

JH: Whatever........

Voyager said...

The second largest group of staff at the IMF is British and London does not want that stranglehold to slip.

Just as the Irish are going to bleed because of Peter Sutherland of EU Commission, Goldman Sachs, BP, Trilateral Commission, Bilderberg fame.....he and men like him who have elevated themselves above little emerald isle have other loyalties.

It is Trahison des Clercs you must watch for

PeterCharles said...

I suppose the vote will be a measure of how unpopular the party hierarchy have become. Irritation and disgruntlement with the leadership is one of the few spurs that prod political rebellion, only to cause embarrassment, of course, not actually to bring about a defeat.

One or two stalwarts like John Redwood can be expected to vote against or abstain, I doubt any LibDims will oppose it, if it looks like there is a possibility of defeat one or two Tory MPs will see it as an opportunity to gain favour and un-rebel, after getting a promise, of course.

WitteringsfromWitney said...

V: You missed out Common Purpose!

PC: If there are 30 rebels I will be pleasantly surprised. I think that instead of MP I will use VF - ie Voting Fodder!